Leave a Legacy of Hope and Healing
Thank you for your interest in learning more about how legacy gifts, put into place now, can help you provide a secure future for your loved ones and support the Mercy Ships mission well into the future. A legacy gift is a lasting investment in Mercy Ships, advancing our mission and ensuring our ability to help those in need for years to come.
For over 40 years, the heart of Mercy Ships has focused on bringing hope and healing to the forgotten poor. Our fleet of state-of-the-art hospital ships bring world-class healthcare and medical training to regions where clean water, reliable electricity, and medical personnel and supplies are limited or even nonexistent. Onboard our hospital ships, staffed by volunteer professionals from around the world, surgeries are performed that transform the lives of people who might otherwise face a lifetime of suffering. Tumors are removed, orthopedic conditions are corrected, sight is restored, cleft lips are repaired, and more!
We invite you to consider adding Mercy Ships to your will, leaving a legacy of hope and healing well into the future.
"You can't change the whole world. But you can change the whole world
for one person."
-Dr. Gary Parker, volunteer surgeon
Do you have property that you would like to sell? Are you looking for a strategy to reduce your income taxes? A bargain sale might be the right strategy for you.
Benefits of a bargain sale
- Avoid capital gains tax on your charitable gift
- Receive a tax deduction that will reduce your tax bill this year
- Take the cash received from the sale and reinvest it to create future income, save for retirement, buy new property or achieve other financial goals
- Help Mercy Ships further our important charitable work
How a bargain sale works
- You sell Mercy Ships your property for a price less than fair market value.
- You receive cash from the sale.
- You can take a charitable deduction for the value of your gift which is the difference between the fair market value of the property less the sale price.
- While you may owe some tax on the sale proceeds you receive from Mercy Ships, the charitable deduction from your gift could offset some, most or all of your capital gains taxes associated with the sale.
More on bargain sales
A bargain sale may be accomplished even if you have a mortgage on your property. Because relief from indebtedness can have tax implications, please consult with your tax advisor prior to completing a gift of a bargain sale.
If you have any questions about a bargain sale, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.